3 Jun 2013
Sapelo Island Lighthouse, Georgia, USA
The original Sapelo Island Lighthouse was built by Winslow Lewis in 1820. It was heavily damaged by a hurricane and tidal surge in 1898 and was then replaced in 1905 by a steel skeleton structure. Due to slow shipping traffic it was deactivated and moved to South Fox Island, Michigan, in 1993. The original lighthouse was then restored and renovated to its 1890 appreance. It is privately owned and maintained.
The great card was sent by Rose Davenport for the WiP Name Swap.